Monday, March 14, 2011

Produce Purchases

I took another inventory of the freezer today and decided that I definitely can make it through the rest of the month without buying any meat. I have frozen chicken breasts, flank steak, beef chunks, shrimp, ground beef, shredded chicken, matzo ball soup, a pork chop (fat enough to be split in two) and a couple of pie crusts.

I will need to buy some more bacon if I want to make those quiches, and my husband often has bacon on the weekends, so I guess I'm not completely meat free. But then again, I have a bunch of tuna and canned salmon, so I could probably get by without even buying that!

I stopped by Safeway to pick up Jalapeno chips for hubby's lunches and to buy a bunch of produce. Since I made my no-meat purchase goal for the month, I figured it might be the perfect time to try to work in some alternatives to meat - huge no-no for my husband! So, instead of jumping straight into meatless meals, I'm going to incorporate mushrooms into some meals and cut the meat in half.

I made a delicious "spaghetti and meatballs" tonight using spaghetti squash, sausage and portabello mushrooms. Not only were there no complaints, my husband declared it delicious!

So, here's what I purchased:

Organic Milk - $5.19 (twenty cents higher than last week!)
2 Bags Jalapeno Chips - $8.98
Spinach - $1.99
Red Chard - $1.99
Portabella Mushrooms - $2.87
Shitake Mushrooms - $2.80
Spaghetti Squash - $6.33
Spaghetti Squash - $6.81
Organic Onions - $5.02 (only twenty cents more than regular, so I went organic!)
Total = $41.98

I also ran past Trader Joe's on Friday and bought a couple bottles of cheap wine and some lemonade/tea as a  treat for the hubs. Total = $8.73.

That brings my grand total for the month so far to $87.09. Pretty good since we're almost half way through!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...