Friday, March 11, 2011

Food Waste Friday - The Lost Tomatoes

I've been doing really well using up the food we have in the fridge and minimizing food waste. I did have to chuck a couple strawberries as I sliced them up for the freezer, but for the most part they were rescued before falling to utter demise. I also had to toss an entire heirloom orange, and chop parts of a couple others, but I really can't be blamed for that one. I picked up my free bag on Friday and was composting oranges on Sunday. I'd be really annoyed if they hadn't been a giveaway from Metropolitan Market, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Other than that, I've been working my way steadily through a bag of red peppers and been pretty pleased with my efforts. Unfortunately, I didn't realize they were hiding the last of my tomatoes. They don't look so bad in this picture, just a little wrinkly. But they were flat on the bottom. Not to mention, I didn't even buy tomatoes in February. All in all, I think these tomatoes hung on as long as they could for me, but I still failed them. Sorry! It's the compost bin for you.

I haven't even done a big grocery shop yet (and it's already the 11th of the month!) so I'm pretty sure there's no more produce hiding in the back of my fridge. I should do pretty well minimizing the food waste this month, and making sure I use up everything in the fridge and freezer is also doing wonders for my food budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...