Friday, April 1, 2011

Food Waste Friday - Some Sad Lettuce

I'll hopefully have a picture for you later today, but we do have some honest to goodness food waste this week. I was using some red lettuce no my hubby's lunches while the sprouts were growing. Luckily, I got down to the itty bitty center pieces that aren't big enough for a sandwich just as the sprouts reached readiness - perfectly coordinated if I do say so myself. But, of course, the last little bit of lettuce was forgotten, and when I pulled the bag out of the crisper last night it had that brown slimy liquid running around in it.

The last of the fresh spinach is also on it's last legs, but I don't plan to let it go to waste. I'll throw the wilted pieces in a pasta or something. Actually, I was planning on trying out this recipe tonight for the first time, and some spinach tossed in might be perfect!

Spicy Beef-Noodle Bowl

1 lb. beef sirloin, cut into strips
1 Tbsp. oil
28 oz. broth
1/3 cup peanut sauce
3 oz. egg noodles
2 cups broccoli florets
Sliced green onions for garnish

Brown beef strips in hot oil in a Dutch oven. Add broth and peanut sauce, and bring everything to a boil. Stir in noodles and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir to break up the noodles, and add broccoli. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, and simmer for another 4 minutes or until noodles are tender. Garnish with green onions.

Sounds good, and easy right? I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...