Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Avoiding Temptation | Stopping Catalog and Direct Mail Delivery

I came across a link to this awesome article in Sunset Magazine while reading The Non-Consumer Advocate. One of the things mentioned in the article that I thought I could immediately put to use were these two websites:

  • dmachoice.org
  • catalogchoice.org

You can use DMA Choice to get yourself taken off direct mailing lists, and use Catalog Choice to get off specific catalog mailing lists. I routinely receive huge, beautiful catalogs from the likes of Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, CB2, Macy's, and Victoria's Secret just to name a few. And to be perfectly honest, I love looking through these catalogs. But nothing derails a perfectly good budget like the glossy pages of a catalog and the tempting discounts or sales that often come with it.

If you've ever hoarded catalogs, folding down the corners of your favorite pages as you go through them, you probably know it's also pretty disturbing when you finally throw away a big stack. I cleaned off our coffee table just this weekend, and filled half the recycling bin! By avoiding temptation, I can also create a lot less waste.

And let's be honest, I already peruse the Crate & Barrel website plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...